Sunday, November 16, 2008

Toys & Books

It's 9pm. Karli and I have just finished reorganising Oliver's stash of toys. It's hard to know which one's to pass on, which one's to keep for later, which one's to keep for now. Is cuteness a legitimate reason for keeping a toy? It doesn't help that some are actually ours and have some sentimental attachment. I'm hoping that once he is able to dig through things himself, he will quickly help us to work out what stay's and what go's. I'm not sure his collection of books will ever get smaller though - I'm not likely to let it.

He began the second last consolidation cycle on Wednesday, so he has been a little on the uncheery side of life these past few days. Fortunately, he is still sleeping well at night, so we all get a good sleep. Last night he was looked after by Nanna and Grandad here at our house. By all accounts the evening was a success and Grandad didn't have to do too many laps of the park with the pram. This morning we headed down to Nanna and Grandad's to see some of their friends who we weren't able to invite to his party.

I have just given him his last dose of mercaptopurine for this cycle. I still can't come to grips with having to feed my little boy something I use gloves to prepare. I suppose that's a good thing. After the next cycle, he is finished his 'consolidation' phase and moves into maintenance. This will mean the end of his doxorubicin (yay) but he will be getting methotrexate by vein for the rest of the cycles. Although he has had it before, it has always been given via his lumbar puncture, so we don't really know what to expect as far as side effects go when he gets it intravenously. He will remain on steroids, vinblastine and mercaptopurine - plus the other support medicines he receives.

I am so amazed at how well he seems to be taking this. All things being equal, it's as if this is all just normal. It probably is for him at the moment - his little body doesn't know anything else. I wonder if, once treatment is finished, he will notice a difference. I wonder if we will.

Reading with Mum. The book was Karli's when she was 7.

1 comment:

Noelene Tate said...

I remember the book - "Play With Me" - sent to Karli after Jarrad had arrived by my dear friend Jane who lived in San Francisco. Karli was always one of her favourites and received many lovely gifts from Jane.
Already Olly likes his books so he and his dad will have to build a library one day! There are so many fantastic ones to choose from.
Hopefully the maintenance phase will be better for Oliver, as it is hard to see him unhappy when you know that normally he wouldn't be.
Nanna & Grandad love babysitting! xo