Wednesday, September 10, 2008

So Much Endured, So Much Needed

Oliver turned 10 months old yesterday. It's hard to believe that someone so young could have endured so much so early in life. It's harder to consider that there are others who are younger who have endured more. I have had the privilege to meet some of the most amazing children and parents over the past few months.

In some ways I am embarrassed to say that my son has already beaten his cancer and is just going through the motions to make sure it's completely defeated. Maybe I am being a little too optimistic, but as far as I know that is the truth of the matter. Whilst I know that he may relapse, and that he will have a greater than average chance of developing a new cancer, for now he is a healthy normal little boy.

Next Wednesday is the Leukemia Foundation's "Light the Night" (http://www.lightthenight.org.au/). Oliver's Nanna has a team called the Ollywalkers. They will be a group amongst others who will walk with different coloured glowing balloons to signify a different journey -
  • Light a gold balloon to REMEMBER a loved one lost.
  • Light a white balloon to CELEBRATE being a blood cancer survivor.
  • Light a blue balloon to GIVE HOPE and show your support.
Next year, Oliver will walk with his own white balloon.

How sad it is that fundraising is required by hospitals and other foundations and groups to provide the care, support, vision and research to fight sickness and disease. How amazing that there are so many individuals and businesses who give so generously because they know how important it is. May I encourage you to give as you can to whichever cause most touches your heart. There are many organisations that are in desperate need of funds - I'm sure you can find something to support.

Having just endured the somewhat farcical WA election I am sure there must be something that can be done to put pressure on our politicians to direct funds to areas that will best serve our society. I'm sure it's not easy to do, but I'm sure it's not that difficult to direct funds towards improving the quality of life of everyone in our country.

2 comments:

Noelene Tate said...

Thanks Simee for the plug. The response to our fundraising for "Ollywalkers" has been tremendous and I'm sure most of it is because people find it difficult to comprehend that a baby who was so healthy and happy could be given a diagnosis of cancer - that awful C word. Many of my friends are now grandparents or about to be as well.
We are all looking forward to this inaugural event and you can still sponsor myself or the team online.
As a proud nanna and mother-in-law it was so wonderful on Father's Day to be able to share a bbq lunch, a couple of wines, a game of table tennis and smiles and giggles from our little man Olly.
Life is good at the moment as he improves and grows a little stronger every day.
Nanna Noel xo

Michelle Moore said...

GO NANNA NOEL!

I would love to bring my boys up to Perth next year to walk with you all. We will light our blue(and gold for my mum) balloons and walk alongside Olly and many other special families who haved been touched by cancer in one way or another. Love to you all xoxox