Tuesday, September 30, 2008

All's Well

All is well in Roebuckland at the moment. Oliver is tracking well, though we suspect that he will have a blood transfusion tomorrow as he is quite tired and ratty. We think his haemoglobin is dropping to the 'we-should-do-something-about-this' level. Other than that he is still happy and playful, and very talkative.

We went to church on Sunday, the first time since Oliver was diagnosed. We also met our life-group down at a park in Joondalup, and Karli went to mother's group today. So we are making an effort to reconnect to the world we dropped out of back in July. Whilst it would be nice to wrap ourselves up in our own little world, it was good to be around other people. Hopefully it will help us to refocus away from our little world on to some larger things in life again.

I am also in the process of trying to renew my abseiling qualifications, so I have done a day with Scripture Union (who I used to work for) out at Statham's Quarry, and am off to Mountain (Boya) Quarry on Monday with Outdoor Discoveries. It's nice to know I haven't completely lost all of my skills and knowledge, though I did ask Jamie and Ross to check my setup a few times on Friday.

I'll let Karli tell you about mother's group today. Needless to say, now that our little monkey is getting better, we are noticing that he is behind in a lot of his motor skills. It's not that this is necessarily concerning, but in the back of my mind there is still the question of 'what if he doesn't catch up'. In reality i know that he has plenty of time before we need to worry too much about that. He seems to be fairly advanced in his talking though. Well, he likes to make lots of noises.
So, again, it seems like it's just normal parenting stuff that is causing most consternation now - and I'm sure I'm not alone in that boat.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

He is sooooo going to catch up in more ways than one my friend!!! Oliver is an absolute blessing and such a special boy who will share his amazing love of life and that gorgeous smile with all of those lucky enough to meet him on his journey!!!! Thinking of you all and so glad things are getting brighter! Love you all : ) xoxoxo

Mélanie said...

I'm so happy that things are getting better for the family!
I'm sure one day we'll have the chance to meet your Oliver here in Quebec or maybe on August 2009 in Australia...
Love you all so much!
Melanie