Thursday, October 2, 2008

Blissful Ignorance

Oliver was spared any chemo yesterday. His neutrophils were too low and he wasn't able to have the vinblastine push he was due, so we skip this dose and start a new cycle next week. It seems a little strange to completely miss a dose - it feels as if it's optional to have some of the treatment. I assumed that every dose was necessary, but apparently that isn't completely true.

We don't know how long he's been neutropenic for. The difficulty with weekly blood tests is that we don't get a regular idea of what is actually happening. It would seem that we have inadvertantly taken our neutropenic little boy to everything we would probably avoid if we knew - church, a group picnic, and mothers group. Hopefully he hasn't caught anything. Despite his low immunity, he is sleeping well, feeding well, and very playful and talkative. He's a little trooper and doesn't let much get him down. His bottom has started to break down a bit due to his neutropenia, and his scars are getting red, but he is still fighting and bringing smiles to our faces.

1 comment:

Noelene Tate said...

What a trooper is my little man! All this while dealing with those nasty teeth that just won't come through.
His smiles, giggles and wriggles (he does this when he gets excited) when he sees me now make my heart melt and I want to eat him up. The fact that he likes to try to talk makes me even happier as I think that a little part of me is there. And I know that he'll catch up in other areas later; every child is unique and develops at a different rate.
Wea are so looking forward to being able to do more outings and spend more time just enjoying life with Karli, Simon and Oliver as both he and the weather improve.
Nanna Noel xoxo