Saturday, April 11, 2009

Fed Up

So we spent Wednesday and most of Thursday in at PMH. Oliver's new port went in without a hitch. In fact it went in quicker than expected. Dad came home at about 2.30 to have a quick nap and fresshen up before relieving mum for the night. While I was gone he had his chemo for the day and was then moved out of room 7 and into room 6. Despite the fact that we had lovely room mates in room 7, it was nice to move into room 6 and have our own space, and a bed for me to sleep in. Unfortunately I didn't sleep much in it - we had many annoying visits from the nursing staff during the evening, more than seemed necessary with a little bit of forethought and planning. But I'm not a nurse and don't know what's going on over the other side of the fence. Oliver finished his mandatory 24hrs of antibiotics by 9.30 Thursday morning, and so I had hoped we might be home by 10.30 or 11, allowing me to get in a quick nap before heading to work. No chance. We left in time for me to have a quick lunch and shower, and then jump in my car in time to make it for my first client. I then had to return to PMH after work to collect some bits and pieces that had either been left out of our take home pack, or left behind in various fridges.

We've come to the decision that all 3 of us have pretty much had enough of Oliver's treatment. Oliver seems to be a lot more reticent to be given his meds and other bits and pieces, and you can tell that he is frustrated and agitated at the moment - no thanks to the steroids. Karli and I are over the meds, the bottom care, the mouth care, the neck care, the constant watching for things that may indicate somethings awry.

Our little man was very whingey today - more than I remember him being. The heat doesn't help, pretty much making us house bound for most of the day. Tomorrow doesn't look like it's going to be any better, in fact the forecast is for hotter weather than today. If he's up to it I might try and get him down to the beach for a little bit in the morning. Thankfully he still sleeps through the night.

1 comment:

michelle york said...

Hi Simon & Karli

Just wanted to let you know that we are still thinking of you in amongst everything that is going on in all our lives & that we are still following Oliver's progress.
I really hope that you will be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel soon.
God Bless to both of you and to little Oliver.
Take Care