Thursday, June 18, 2009

Resilience

Resilience is the word that comes to mind whenever I think of my little man. People are always asking us how he is, and my reply is usually "Great. Without his tube you wouldn't know he was sick. It's like water off a ducks back". I feel this is true - only he can really say - but I also feel as if I'm devaluing Oliver's experience and struggle.

He can't tell us what he is really feeling. We can only go on what he displays to us. I often wonder if he feels rotten sometimes, but is so used to it, it's normal. I wonder what sort of threshold he will have for pain and illness when he is older. I have no doubt he'll be a lot tougher than his soft dad.

A few weeks back I took Oliver to see his Grandpa and his wife in York. Uncle Jason and cousin Kaitlin were there too. Oliver loved spending time with Uncle Jason, and I think Uncle Jason liked it too.

No comments: