Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Back to Normal?!

Another uneventful day has gone by. Oliver’s body has started to function like a normal little boy and we are slowly increasing his feeds (and calories) and decreasing his pain medication. He should come off the ketamine today, and possibly even the morphine. Of course, this gives us more time to think. We went for a drive today and it was enough to give Karli space to consider the plight of her little boy. I suspect that once we get home it could be messy.

While we were out we witnessed something that can only be described as disgusting and I have been trying to figure out what to do with it ever since. Since it was raining at the time, there was a fair bit of rain on the road. As we watched for traffic coming down the road, a white work van deliberately swerved into a puddle on the road, completely drenching a small boy, his mum and his grandmother as they were trying to cross the road to get to the bus stop. I couldn’t believe it. And the young guy driving thought it was hilarious because he was laughing with his mate as they drove past us. We took down the number plate and I had every intention of writing to the West Australian and the two local papers in Claremont. But I’m not sure what I might be getting myself into legally. And I keep wondering if I should have done something else, like pulled out in front of him and made him stop – except I would have wanted to smack the guy. Or follow him, then what? How do you pull people up for treating others so badly in a world where it seems that that sort of behaviour is lauded. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’d seen it on something like Jackass, or Punk’d, or something like that – a practical joke. Except practical jokes can only be done on friends. When they are done to complete strangers they aren’t funny. Any ideas?
See what happens when we have some time to think of other things. Well Oliver had another part of his chemo yesterday, the bit he had postponed on Friday because of his bowel movements (or lack thereof).

Thankyou to everyone who has posted comments. It’s nice to know we are helping keep you informed, and lovely to have such support so regularly. Just a short one this morning, but the day is young. Who knows what curveballs our little fighter might send our way.

4 comments:

Cazza said...

Hi Simon,
It does make you wonder what goes through people's heads doesn't it that they find hurting/hindering/making people uncomfortable funny.
As much as you would like to do something, I think you have got more then enough on your plate at the momment perhaps a letter to the editor of the local paper?
I am glad you were both able to get out for awhile.
Love Cara

One of the Stanleys said...

Hi Karli, Simon and Oliver
I've just read your blog and it just made my heart hurt for you. I can totally relate to what you've already been through, are going through at the moment and will continue to go through. I know how painful this is; how surreal it is and how unfair we feel it seems. Life just doesn't seem fair sometimes, especially when our precious children are threatened, but I do believe that we're sent these challenges for a reason. One day we might find out why, and we may not, but I really do believe there's a reason.... That, in no way makes it any easier for us parents to deal with; the constant worry, the anger, the tears, the unpredictability of cancer, the monotony of hospital stays, the absolute heart-ache that we feel, but little Oliver WILL pull through this. Believe that. He has a wonderful Mum and Dad (and I know that we've only just met, but I can tell!) and he's in a great place for his care. Be gentle with yourselves, and please, please call or email if you need to vent, scream, laugh, cry, have a beer(!) or just chat. I'm here for you. Jane (Meg's Mum) XXXX

Unknown said...

Hey Simon and Karli
Our heart breaks for you guys...our lifegroup met tonight and we all got together and prayed for you both and especially little Oliver. We claimed his healing and are believing for great miracles to happen!
Love
Colin, Andrea, Matthew and Jake

Unknown said...

Hi Simon,
Thinking of you all and and sending much love and many hugs to you during this time.
May each new day bring sunshine and hope for better days to follow. Oliver is strong. He is just like his Mummy & Daddy!
Keep your faith my friend...
With much love
Hayley x