Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas - Part 2

I was supposed to write last night but didn't manage it. This is the second part of my Christmas entry, the less joyful part, so be warned it may get a little negative - and could be a little disjointed too. Part 1 was written last night and is a little more upbeat.

We were back in PMH yesterday. Oliver started cycle 6 of his treatment. He received some methotrexate and vincristine, and we started his home doses of mercaptopurine and steroids last night. He could get pretty clingy today, but I think I might be in the mood to just hold him.

You might remember Karli mentioning that we had both hit the wall - thus the reason for me beginning my holidays earlier. I'd like to be able to report that we are both re-energised and have been positively charged over the past week and a half, but we are both still flat. I'm not sure what it is. It doesn't feel right for it to be about Oliver's cancer since he is handling treatment so well, all things considered. Admittedly, there is likely to be some background stress related to it, but given what I know other parents are enduring, I feel like I need to take a toughen-up pill and enjoy my child's health. I think that I might be slowly finding the time and space to process the past 6 months. Some of it is bound to be the fact that we are here and not in Canada as I had hoped this time last year.

Ooops, Christmas just started. There will be a part 3.

Have a lovely Christmas. Give your loved one's an extra tight hug.

1 comment:

Noelene Tate said...

Just like Simon I love all those things associated with Xmas (although I wear bright Xmas earrings instead of a vest), especially the goodwill shown by most.
Olly loves you to clap and sing "Jingle Bells", and although he had more fun climbing our stairs than opening his presents a wonderful, blessed Christmas Day was had by our family.
Congratulations to Gordon and Sytarnya on the birth of their Christmas Eve baby boy. Love to all xo