Saturday, August 30, 2008

Amazing Kids

We arrived home at 12.30pm today. Earlier than expected, which was nice. It meant we had the afternoon in our own space. Oliver's surgery yesterday went well. He has now had his old port removed, and a new one inserted on the right hand side, where it was supposed to go originally. Given that the whole procedure took no more than an hour, compared with the four hours the first one took, I expect this one to work fine.
He didn't sleep well last night, so mum was kept up and didn't get much sleep either. I am constantly amazed at what she is capable of doing, and how much time, energy and happiness she has stored up for her little man. She seems to have a secret stash of love and patience all prepared for her little boy.
I realised on Friday that my job isn't to support and look after Oliver as much as it is to support and look after Karli. Mum is number 1 for Oliver, so I need to make sure she can give him the time and energy he needs from her. Fortunately, I think dad comes in as a close 2nd. After a week back at work, I think I have realised that I need to have more time available to support Karli and Oliver during the week, particularly on the days he heads in to hospital. So I think I will be cutting my work week back from 6 days to 4 for the next couple of months until we have worked out what the cycles are going to look like for us.
Next Sunday will be my first Father's Day. I'm so glad I have my little man in a healthier state to enjoy it with. Hopefully he won't have any side effects affecting him, and we expect to be at home.
On Friday we chatted to the mum of our little friend who had her leg removed. She seems to have taken it very well. Her athletics carnival is on next week and apparently she said very matter-of-factly that since she can't run, she'll go and help time and keep track of scores. I know I'd be using it as a perfect excuse to stay home. She even went to school twice last week - one week after having her leg amputated! She is an amazing little girl. You hear it all the time in hospital, and it sometimes seems so flippant, but kids are very resilient. And the kids that we have met are truly amazing. I hope I have their strength should I have to face the same battle.

3 comments:

Noelene Tate said...

Once again I sit and write on this blog with tears in my eyes after reading of my daughter's anguish and my son-in-law's love and consideration for her.
But on the positive side Olly has not reacted as badly this time - touch wood - to the chemo and on Monday I did get some wide eyed smiles from our peek-a-boo game and he was happy playing for a short time with his blocks and in his exersaucer.
I hate to see and listen to him cry and be miserable so I can imagine how Karli must feel.However I mostly only see and hear her patient soothing tones; although she did lose it slightly trying to get him to finish his lunch the other day and said I should try - 1 more mouthful was achieved before we gave up.
We are certainly looking forward to Simon and Oliver's first Father's Day and if it doesn't go to plan then life does SUCK because Simon deserves to have the best day he can.
Love to all xo

Cam Harris said...

Simon and Karli,

I just heard of your blogsite today and wanted to let you know we will be following in your family's journey.

Cam & Elizabeth Harris

Unknown said...

So glad to hear that you are all back home for now. Wishing you a wonderful Fathers Day Simon! Lots of love to Mummy and your little man. Thinking of you all xoxox