Monday, August 25, 2008

Quickie

Just a quick entry to keep you all informed of what is happening for us at the moment. I went back to work today. Although I wasn't particularly looking forward to it, it was great to be back and to see everyone who has supported us through these past few weeks.

Oliver is a normal little boy at the moment. he even looked like one last night after he pulled out his nasogastric tube. Unfortunately I had to take him back to the hospital to have it reinserted today. He is playful, and cheery, and energetic. It seems a shame to have to put him down to sleep. For now our challenge is regular parenting stuff. But that could all change tomorrow.

Tuesday is going to be a big long day, especially for Oliver. Tomorrow he gets 5 different chemo drugs - 2 of them are brand new, so we will have to wait and see what effect they have on him. He goes back on his steroids for 5 days at triple the last dose strength. He will also get some doxorubicin, which will likely cause him mucusitis and have him back in hospital by next Thursday. he also will undergo a general anaesthetic and have another bone marrow aspiration and trephine (marrow removed as well as a piece of bone) and will have a lumbar puncture to have methotrexate injected at the same time. Needless to say I am having a light day at work. I'll probably do that each Tuesday, though not every Tuesday is going to be like this one.
Friday's will be our other day in at hospital to get blood tests and a checkup.

As I filled people in on Oliver's health today I couldn't help but feel that it was all done and dusted and that life was back to normal. I'm not sure I seemed to excited about where Oliver is at, but I don't want to get my hopes up. It's hard to walk the fence between knowing he is clinically in remission, but that there may still be remnants and he still needs to finish off the next 315 days of chemotherapy. I suppose it's still a case of just taking each moment as it comes, and some of them will be very normal, and others will not.

3 comments:

Michelle Moore said...

Thanks for posting. I know it's for you as much as it is for us, but there must be times when you just dont feel like it. We really appreciate your regular updates.
It must be hard facing hospital again after having some normality at home - we are praying for you.
Love ya.

Noelene Tate said...

It was so nice being able to watch Olly play, talk and eat his solids like a normal baby;plus give him a cuddle and even take him out of sight of his mum for a change.
Like Simon I'm so happy that he's in remission but sad that he still is being pumped full of drugs. But as Karli and I discussed this time around he at least starts sooo much healthier!!
And his loving parents look better too from their time at home,and now also know the drill at hospital.
Just as we do the staff there think that Oliver,with his big blue eyes, is adorable and such a brave, good little boy. He does know how to shut his mouth tight though when he sees those mouth care swabs!!
Love to all the other bloggers too.
Nanna Noel xoxo

Catherine Wood said...

Hi Karli & Simon, just letting you know that I'm reading your blog every day or so - so thanks for the updates, I really appreciate them especially all the way here in Pakistan! Wow, Karli, I can't believe how much things have changed since I saw you in June! I'm praying for Olly and you both as you journey on this journey that you're on..... loads of love and prayers, Woody