Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Going Home - Hopefully

Hopefully we will be back home tomorrow evening. Oliver is off all of his intravenous antibiotics and will be off his morphine by tomorrow morning. After he has had his bone marrow biopsy done his drip should be removed and we should be able to head off home once he’s been given the all clear. His PET scan has shown that there is no active cancer sites, and his CT scan has shown that his spleen and kymph tissue has returned to normal size. His bone scan has indicated that there are some hotspots on his bones, but without doing a bone biopsy they can’t be 100% certain it’s not cancer. But with the other two scans, his bone scan is likely to be showing up areas that are healing, since bone takes much longer than other tissues. So this is probably the best result we could have hoped for.

He had much more energy again today and is very playful and inquisitive. He does seem to be having some tummy issues that are causing some discomfort, but he doesn’t appear to be in pain per se. We are looking forward to taking him home and having atleast a day of normality before we come back in on Friday for the start of his next lot of chemo. We could have a fairly serious drug regime after that, with the extra chemo, plus some magnesium, and no doubt some other support medications aswell.

I’m not sure I’m absolutely ready to head back to work and start living a normal life, but I know that we would never choose to take on these extra challenges if we were given a choice. I’m sure it will be fine, and I hope it will mean that I will be much more organised. Maybe the extra demands will mean that I will stop procrastinating on all the things I want to get done and I will actually do them. I’ll see what happens tomorrow.

2 comments:

Jo Capper-Sandon said...

I feel a bit strange posting as you don't actually know me...I live in the UK and am a friend of Sue Smiths.
I've been following your family's story since Sue mentioned it and feel so relieved that Oliver has braved everything and is going home for a bit of a break.So pleased that the results so far seem to be positive. Lots of thoughts and well wishes for you all. Keep going...hang in there xx

Unknown said...

So happy you guys are heading home... Thinking of you all and sending much love and hugs.. xoxoxo